Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Puerco Pibil


Since the Honeymoon, I have been researching absolute true Mexican cuisine. I will admit that I have neglected and cast aside what I thought was Mexican food. This has been great. The flavors amazing. I encourage everyone to break away from the fast Mexican food we get here and give it a shot. Tonight is pork tacos, marinated in achiote paste and chipotle peppers, tacos with pineapple and jalapeno salsa. I will post the results and the recipes later. BTW, the achiote paste in the taco recipe is made in the following video. Also, the following video uses traditional methods for the paste. I cannot stress this enough.
One of my favorite film directors of all time is Robert Rodriguez, He had a Special Feature on his Once Upon A Time In Mexico DVD on how to make Puerco Pibil, or Cochinita Pibil.

I made the paste lastnight for todays tacos. The smell is amazing (chest pounding good) is the only way I can describe it. The pork, red onion and pineapple for the tacos will be cooked over a coal fire. You know how good that is gonna be. The smokey chipotle and seared pork and grilled pineapple and onions. Top it with fire roasted tomato, jalepeno and garlic salsa, and the a dash of fresh lime juice and cilantro.
I have a new found respect for the freshness and flavors of Mexico. I hope you enjoy the same discoveries as I post this and future recipes.
Robert

OK, I just found Robert Rodriguez's second10 minute cooking school and decided to add this on as an addendum.
Breakfast Tacos

1 comment:

Marcus said...

I'm sorry, but are you seriously suggesting that Taco Bell is not "real" Mexican? A Baja Steak Chalupa can fix any number of problems that I might be having..... :)