Saturday, June 28, 2008

A New Project


Last year for a friend's B-Day, we went to this really neat place here in Tampa, Stump's Supper Club. Their Shrimp and Grits, were totally amazing. Here is the description from their menu.


"A favorite in Lowcountry kitchens throughout South Carolina. Fresh gulf shrimp are sautéed with Tasso sausage, smothered in red-eye gravy and served over stone ground cheese grits."

OK, I have to attempt to make this. Then I found a recipe by Jason Scholtz of High Cotton, in Charleston, SC., for blue cheese grits.

Click on the recipe for a larger image

Now the Stump's version did not use a blue cheese for the grits, so I was thinking of creating something inspired by both of these dishes. For the shrimp I have been debating on butterflying and blackening them, or sautéing them with the Tasso or better yet Andouille sausage. I still need to select the right type of blue cheese to get the creaminess I am looking for to compliment the heat of the shrimp. I may use the red-eye gravy as a dipping sauce on the side. Also, maybe something like the sweet heat sauce from Lee Roy Selmon's, here in Tampa.

As we working on this any suggestions or ideas would be great, and of course, as we progress I will post the recipes and changes.

Thanks, Robert


1 comment:

JEANNE said...

I like the idea of blackening the shrimp, but not the sauteing with the andouille...it doesn't sound good(to me)with the blue cheese? Just my opinion...it would probably be good either way!!