Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Flavor Bases Part I: Trinities and Bases






I just thought I would share some of the information I have learned from cooking many different ethnic dishes. Most countries have a base to which most of their recipes start out.I will be posting this in several parts to make it easier. Here are just some notes on some of the many variations.

Trinities and Bases
  • Indian: garlic, ginger and onion

  • Chinese: scallions, ginger and garlic

  • Szechuan: green garlic, ginger and chili peppers

  • Thai: galangal, kaffir lime and lemon grass

  • French Mirepoix: celery, onion and carrot

  • Lebanese: garlic, lemon juice and olive oil

  • Italian Soffritto: tomato, garlic and onion

  • German: potato, cheese and pork
  • Spanish Sofrito: garlic, onion and tomato cooked in olive oil

  • Creole/Cajun: celery, bell peppers, and onions
  • Mexican: corn, beans and chilies

  • Tuscan Odori: red onion, celery, and carrot

  • Cuban Sofrito: bell pepper, onion, and tomato

  • Portuguese Refogado: sautéed onion and any or all of the following: garlic, bay leaf, paprika or tomato
All of this was gathered and collected from books and websites. I would just cut and paste into a word document for my notes. If anyone recognizes their work please let me know so I can credit you.

If anyone would like to add more please feel free to leave it in the comments and I will add them.

Hope this inspires you,

Robert


v



No comments: