Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Cucumber Shark: Part II

Ok, can we all boil water? Water, over heat until 212F (100C). Not too difficult since we have discovered fire. True? Then why, oh why do we need microwave egg cookers?

Are we truly that lazy that we can't get up a few minutes earlier for a non-nuclear option? They have even made an inside the egg scrambler so you do not have to raise a fork and spend 20 seconds to whip an egg.

Now the Chop-O-Matic is a great idea to have children use to help in a kitchen (safety factor). But what adult cannot get a certain joy (stress release) from whacking up some veggies on a piece of wood with a sharp knife. It really does not have to be pretty, just chopped.
What has happened to the artisans? The Amish still make some of the best cheese. There are some truly talented bread makers. They don't compromise. I grew up on Wonderbread like most of you, but have you ever smelled a truly artisan sourdough loaf coming out of the oven? Ever heard the crackling sound it makes as it sits on the countertop cooling for at least an hour tormenting you with that Heavenly aroma?

I do understand time issues and the work force of today, but should we not, at least for our younger generation, once a week put forth the effort to pass on Grandma's recipes and skills? Once a week or even once a month, we do need to get back to these things as Americans. Our country was founded on making things from scratch. That is why we survived. I have made bread from a starter that I cultivated for 2 weeks. I have made cheese from whole milk. I do work a full time job. No, I do not have children yet, but with these things I have taught my nieces and nephews as well as other young people the benefits of the REAL DEAL. We can do this. Convenience should be an option, if need be, not a crutch. What's next, canned bacon and canburgers?

'Nuff Said,
Robert

1 comment:

Melanie said...

AWESOME! I love making things from scratch...they taste so much better. The next thing on my list is to get a hand crank pasta maker. I want to make home made noodles. With my milled four of course. :)