Friday, July 11, 2008

Multi Tasking with Grits

Ok, this was fun. For my Shrimp & Grits project, I found these grits from a local source. I was blown away by the look alone. They come from a local man in Plant City. Click Here for a great article about him. In all my reading I came across this neat idea on the IDEAS IN FOOD website. Great place for some different approaches and techniques. There was a great article on "10 Minute Grits and Whey". This was inspired! I had to try cooking these amazing grits in whey. Unfortunately, you just can't go to the store and pick some up. Or can you? Now it's time to multi task, I bought a gallon of milk and decided to learn to make my own mozzarella. (Cheese is one of my guilty pleasures). Amazing thing, out of a gallon of milk I got 3 quarts of whey as a by-product of the cheese making process. Now I am in business. I broke out the grits and measured out the whey and the kosher salt. I wanted to keep this simple.Cooking very slowly on the stove for about 45 minutes, the smell started permeating the house. I was getting excited! I have to say when the grits were done, they were the absolutely most phenomenal plate of grits I have ever had. Needless to say I started loading up the freezer with containers of my whey. Shannon's gonna love that. Just kidding, she's great about all this stuff. I am hoping to get in touch with Mr. Morrill (Morrill Grist Mill Speckled Grits) as I would love to go out and see the whole process. Hopefully by the end of this weekend, I will have made the Blue cheese grits recipe with the few changes I am making. When everything gets put together from my mangled pile of notes, I will post the new grits recipe and the mozzarella recipe for all of you.

P.S. What am I gonna do with over a pound of cheese now? Fresh homemade mozzarella? Pizzas?

No comments: