Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Great Place!


It's really funny how things work out. In the past few posts I spoke of trying to frequent the Mom & Pop places and to explore what's out there. I also spoke of making your own soups and such. Well today was an awesome example of what I meant. While on a trek to take my cat to the vet, we stopped in Brooksville for lunch at Mallie Kyla's Cafe. What a great place! The history of Mallie Kyla Howard is amazing. At the Cafe, all their soups, salads, dressings and sandwiches are made from scratch. The quality of the ingredients is incredible. Shannon's favorites have always been the Mallie Gobbler sandwich and the Swiss Potato Soup, which we both had today. You could tell the care that went into each dish. This is what I meant about the quality of the Mom & Pop places doing it RIGHT. This is a place we need to visit much, much more. We need to share this place others so that it will continue to do well. I think after this, kind of "review", I may try to point out some other places I have found.

510 East Liberty St.
Brooksville, FL 34601
(352) 796-7174

Thanks,
Robert

3 comments:

Marcus said...

Get Shannon to reminisce about the Pig Stand in Belzoni, MS. It's been gone for years, and I only had the pleasure of eating there a few times, but it was a regular experience for Shannon. They made the most incredible steak fingers that I have ever had. They were obviously hand-cut and tenderized, then battered and fried to perfection. And then they had a sauce on all of the tables that may have been a homemade BBQ that was amazing. Thin & vinegary. Shannon used to mix it with another sauce, but I don't remember the exact recipe.

If she doesn't get misty-eyed describing the experience of the place, ask me about it at the wedding and I will.

Shannon Outlaw-Kimsey said...

I'm misty eyed already!! I remember thinking that Marcus would NEVER eat at the Pig Stand, but once he did, he was addicted!! I mixed the BBQ sauce with Heinz ketchup and it was amazing! The Pig Stand had awesome BBQ sandwiches as well, but the steak finger basket with my ketchup/BBQ sauce concoction was the best! The Pig Stand was the reason why 90% of men 40 and above had at least triple bypasses! They had a breakfast sandwich called the Sutt special after a local farm equipment store owner. It was fried egg, fried ham and bread pan fried with butter. You COULD NOT be a vegetarian in my hometown. If you were, you starved to death!! Since the closing of the Pig Stand, the cardiologist in Jackson have traded in their Lexus for Toyota Corollas. It is still sadly missed on my trips home! All attempts to replicate the steak fingers have fallen just short of the original, but still bring back memories of football, homecoming, working on floats, and Delta Lassies, which is a WHOLE NOTHER STORY!!! Love ya, Shannon

Robert said...

Shannon has told me about the Pig Stand before. This is what I am talking about. These places are great and Marcus you seen to have a plethora of places around you like this such as Panini Pete's and The Gumbo Shack. I would be honored, if you had time, to write a post on some of these places.

Thanks,
Robert