Tuesday, August 19, 2008

New Trick in My Bag



I am a frequent reader of Jaden's Steamy Kitchen blog. ( a small note here. Jaden teaches cooking classes at The Rolling Pin in Brandon, Florida, I have to go.) Well, a couple of weeks ago I ran across an amazing post. She had written, How to Turn Cheap "Choice" Steaks into Gucci "Prime" Steaks. Alright, the title caught my eye, I had to read on. In the end I was astounded. It all made sense and I had to try it myself. I got the chance last weekend while in Miami on a quest for my wedding Guayabera. We were staying with Shannon's sister and brother-in-law, and on Saturday they pulled out six of the best looking, 1 1/4 inch, T-bone steaks I have seen in a long, long time. So in trying to figure out how we were going to make then I remember Jaden's post. I totally covered the meat with a layer of salt ( has to be kosher salt, preferably Diamond Crystal, maybe sea salt), then a layer of , fresh ground black pepper,garlic, fresh rosemary, and fresh thyme, then more salt to completely cover. After an hour and fifteen minutes a rinsed it all off and dried the surface of the steaks completely. Being completely dry on the grill, the steaks browned and not steamed. The grill marks were perfect and the color of the steaks was awesome. Needless to say, these were the best steaks I had made yet. On a funny note, I don't think there were enough steak knives to go around, but butter knives worked fine. I suggest to everyone who loves steak and grills to really try this.

Thanks,
Robert

No comments: