Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thanks, Grandma

My Mother and Grandmother were two of my biggest influences in my cooking. Mom and Grandma were the consummate entertainers. Martha Stewart's before Martha's time. Everything had to always be just right. I don't think either had a hot meal when cooking for everyone. Grandma passed away this year. So many memories of her were in the kitchen. So in moving my furniture, I had an idea. She had given me some things that just meant so much to me memory wise. A brass mortar and pestle (maybe 100 years old), a meat grinder, (turn of the century), a nut dispenser from Norwegian Cruise Lines, and a egg spoon from Norway. So in a flash of inspiration, since she was an inspiration, I decided to put my bookcase together in a way that will keep that close. So here is a picture of my bookcase and cookbooks.
**Please click on the picture for a larger view**
I can't help but smile every time I go to grab a cookbook.

Thanks,
Robert

4 comments:

tlm said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Grandma!

Bibliophile said...

That's a nice way to keep her memory alive.

Auntbeast said...

Did you get the Romertopf from her? Ours came from Mrs. Carson's kitchen. I wish I was a better cook when we emptied out her house, I shudder at the stuff that got given away.

Robert said...

Yes, the Romertopf came from her. Can't wait to bake in it, but mote important, can't wait for seafood in it. I have replicated lots of terra cotta baking from the hardware store thanks to Alton. But I have to use Grandma's.